Thursday, March 22, 2007

Who am I?

First of all...that's a very complicated, confusing answer. I contradict myself. Not just literally, but by my behavior. Huh? I can like something one day and the next thing you know *POW* it's a whole 'nother story. Huh? I'm an explorer. Ever heard 'Try it, you might like it'? Well...it's like books. I love to read historical romance, but I don't like to write it. Maybe one day I will try it. I write contemporary series and my current WIP has a social issue tag about teenage drinking. Is it one I would normally pick up and read? Probably because depending on how I weave the words for a blurb...I would feel a compatible bond as a mother of two boys. One is a teenager and on the edge of peer pressure and social drinking. My little one is a daredevil and will try anything. Which probably means the oldest will be a warm-up compared to what we will have to deal with later.

Who am I when it comes to reading? I don't know. I'd never be able to confine myself to a particular genre. I have very eclectic tastes. But when I am standing next to a bookshelf...where ever...what will I pick up? That can vary. Depends on my mood or life situation. I love historicals but I get tired of trying to figure out phrases or terminology they use trying to date their stories. And because I don't have the time or urge to read much of a particular time period it can get frustrating. Others may enjoy it and consider it as a learning experience. Okay, I don't have enough patience. That's a part of who I am. I can be very anal, and I can be flexible. My Mom likes to blame it on my zodiac sign. I'm a Scorpio. She used to say I was just very strong-minded. Whatever. I know what I like, don't like, what I believe and what I can tolerate. When you have a husband and children, you learn to be flexible.

This post was mainly supposed to be about genre. Not about my Type A personality. Even though in my defense I like to say I am more of a lowercase a than a capital A(nal).

Angel 3
But. What do you read? What do you write? Are they the same? Hmmmm





2 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

I only read contemporary stuff whether it's romance, mystery, inspirational or mainstream. There's just something about me that detests old - furniture, stories, houses, church worship styles, men...

As long as it's contemporary, I'll read it. Not big on urban tales, chick lit or paranormal though.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I really like romance. So, duh, it was a natural to want to write it.

But I also like chick-lit and would like to try my hand at something along those lines.

Love a good mystery too. Maybe some day I can brach out to that. But I think I have to work on my plotting before I can attempt that.