Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Put Up or Shut Up...

Deep breath. OK. You guys know that I've been going back and forth with my family about opening a restaurant or shop...or both. Well. We've been having work done around the building upgrading the electrical and gas so we can at least have utilities while living there. We keep playing a stop and go thing with the restaurant business idea because I'm not sure I can do this by myself. My husband works out of town 9 days at a time and only home for 5. My mom is still battling exhaustion and plagued with health problems from cancer treatments. I'm not sure how much help I'd have unless we hired full time people.

We have a decision to make. We ran up against a major obstacle which is forcing a final decision. The city code enforcement dude came by to inspect the gas line work we had done so we can have heat this winter. The plumber was able to pull a permit and do the work. But our building is zoned commercial. Which means...the work passed inspection but we can't have the gas turned on unless we go ahead with our business and have complete architectural drawings for both buildings. We just spent over $10k to have the utilities upgraded but it's worthless unless we go ahead with the business. We'd have to sell the building and move if we don't push forward.

I guess I'd better start exercising to build up my stamina. Ugh. I can do this. Other writers have full-time jobs and families. I've enjoyed a couple of years off from working outside of the home. At least this way...I won't have to drive to work...I'll be right next door or downstairs.

Now the decision is which business do I do first?! The restaurant or the shop? I wonder where my writing fits into the big picture...

8 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Wow. Sounds like a tough decision! I'm sure you'll have less time at first for writing, but once you get into a groove and get going, then you'll probably be okay! Like you said, we all have to juggle so many responsibilities. And think of all of the wonderful story ideas you'll generate!

Bethanne said...

That's so exciting. And really scary. I'll be praying for you. What kind of shop are you thinking? Books? Yarn? Clothing?

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Wow, that is stressful! Good luck figuring out the best thing and then getting it all done!

Jennifer Shirk said...

It is both exciting and scary, but once you decide and have it set up, you'll be able to get in the groove of writing again.

Chicki Brown said...

IMO, you should go with the less risky one. That way you can try to put aside some cash and ease into the other business.

I'll be praying for God to give you wisdom and strength.

Luv ya, girl!

Terri Tiffany said...

Have you ever run a business before? We owned a store and two construction businesses. It's a lot but if you do what you love, you can do it plus be really careful with the decisions. What do you want to do?

Bella said...

This is exciting and daunting as well. Good luck with your choice. We owned a shop growing up so I know you'll have fun...

Chelle Sandell said...

Jody ~ Thanks! My writing has been sporadic anyways. Summer is always hard for me with the boys home and in my face. Now that hubby travels...even worse. *sigh* I need to definitely work on time management. :)

Bethanne ~ If we do the shop...it'll be a ladies shop with bath & body products, and accessories like purses, flip-flops, sunglasses, clothing and jewelry. Also...candles, sweets, and home decor.

Kate ~ Thank you!!

Jennifer ~ I'm going to try to make myself get up earlier. I really want to find time for my writing.

Chicki ~ Thanks, sweetie!! Could always use some of that!! I think we'll do the restaurant and a website first.

Terri ~ We had a metal building construction company for a couple of years. But it was small potatoes compared to this. I'm very detailed oriented and anal when it comes to planning. It'll take alot longer to get the businesses going, but I want to be as thorough as possible to cut down on any surprises. I like the idea of a family business and my teen is at the age where he's starting to drive and needs a job.