Thursday, August 06, 2009

Road Trip

Well guys...I'm back in Memphis with the hubster and little man. I had a brilliant idea and had to follow through. School for the man child begins on the 26th and I knew this would be my last chance to do anything sightseeing worthy in this area. Of course we'll have to visit a few of the more famous BBQ joints.

But...

Sunday the hubster will have a day off and we're planning a road trip. I've traced my family's Native American history back to the 1700's and some of it is actually documented in the history books. This is also where I got the idea for my historical. My 4th g-grandfather was a Chickasaw Chief and lived the last days of his life with his married daughter...the woman I am modeling my heroine after. Unfortunately I don't have story details to work with, but something in my writer's brain clicked when I read the genealogy comments about this particular daughter. The history is documented along the Natchez Trace Parkway along the Mississippi-Alabama border. It's just a two hour drive from here, so off we go with a picnic loaded ice chest, full tank of gas, and a camera. I'm pretty excited. Not so sure about little man. He asked if they had an amusement park. *sigh*

5 comments:

Bethanne said...

Oh. Oh well. Kids, they also have to learn to appreciate that kind of stuff, and being an example, and excited about it will affect him in the long run. :)

Knowing your history is very cool.
Safe travels!!!

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Sounds exciting. Have a great time on your trip!

Terri Tiffany said...

It sounds like wonderful fun! I know you'll find some cool details to make your story even better!

Vanessa said...

Sounds like you'll have an awesome time! Enjoy it!!!

Chicki Brown said...

Can't wait to hear what you discover. Have a great time!