Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Inspiration

Yesterday I let you guys peek through a little window into our chaotic life happenings. I guess what I was doing was making excuses for not being motivated to write. I love to hear success stories and often search out writer's tips on websites I'm directed to by other writers. But something I read today made me feel ashamed of my weak excuses. BooHoo. I have healthy, active children and a busy schedule. I know PLENTY of others in my same predicament.

What about persevering against adversity to follow a dream? What if a disability threatened to interfere? I'd like to think I'm a strong person...but you never know how you'll deal with life when it slaps you in the face. I felt bad awhile back about losing touch with a high school BFF. When I decided to contact her, she spilled about her life since our last contact. Her marriage had gone downhill and her dream for another child had been denied when she was diagnosed with MS. But what really stuck in my mind after we hung up was her negative perspective. Was it her disappointment and anger in how cruel life could be? How would I go through my daily life in her shoes? I've often said if you're unhappy with your life...talk to someone else. One of my beautiful crit partners is dealing with this disease as well and we're often worried when her symptoms flare. But she's strong. She has to be because she's a single mom.

I came across another inspiring story I want to share with others facing blocks like I am. Linda Broday is a member of RWA and got "the call" in 2002, after her MS diagnosis in 1999. Please...if you're needing inspiration or a kick in the butt. Read her story.

Writing With A Disability

I double dog dare you to complain after that. Get off your (in my case anyways) cushy tushy and put it on paper. I don't care if it's a paragraph. But try for a page at least.

3 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

This reminds me of a member of the writing group I used to lead. This chick is single with no kids and she moans and gripes about not having time to write. Her favorite saying is "I have a life! I have a job!" as if the rest of us didn't.

When I hear people come up with constant explanations about why they can't write, I know they are just excuses. That person doesn't really want to write.

The other day I read about an author who wrote while her SEVEN children were growing up. If she can write, anyone can.

PatriciaW said...

My mom was diagnosed with MS when I was two or three, and has been wheelchair-bound since I was in middle school. She is now 86 years old. If I ever develop the peace of mind, beautiful spirit, and graciousness in the face of adversity, I'll truly have become a wonderful woman. She couldn't pursue all her dreams--she played piano at the concert level and taught music--but she raised three children and encouraged us to pursue ours.

My brother, now 46, was diagnosed too about 6 years ago.

Chelle Sandell said...

People dealing with life altering diseases amaze me because it seems so easy to cry and give up but to accept and fight back is incredible!!! That is a true hero in my book!